James F. Mackey, of Greenville, first vice-president, is a native of Columbia, S.C., where his father was engaged in the furniture and undertaking business prior to the Civil war. In 1862, when a small boy, his parents removed to Greenville county near the city, where Mr. Mackey spent his boyhood days engaged in farming. Twenty-three years ago he removed to Greenville and engaged as clerk for J. C. C. Turner, then in the furniture and undertaking business, where he remained for seven years. With Geo. L. Dantzler he in 1883 formed a partnership, and conducted a very successful business for five years. Mr. Mackey, after the expiration of this co-partnership in 1888, sold out to Mr. Dantzler, and became a partner with his old employer, under the name of Turner & Mackey; this continued until 1894, when Mr. Mackey withdrew and bought the business formerly conducted by Mr. Dantzler, the latter having died. He bought the stock and outfit of Mr. Turner last year, Mr. Turner retiring. He now conducts his own business.
Mr. Mackey is a great “Order Man,” being an active and leading member of several, among them the Masons, Odd Fellows, W. of U., A. O. U. W. and K. of P. He is a deacon in the Second Presbyterian church, and for the past eight years has been a member of the Board of Public Education of the city. For many years he has been at the head of the fire department, and takes a leading part in all the social affairs of his section.